History of Santa Rosa County, A King's County
by M. Luther King. Used with permission.
CHURCH HISTORY OF SANTA ROSA COUNTY
SOME SKETCHES OF METHODISM
MILTON -- BAGDAD -- PENSACOLA
Protestantism was not openly permitted, except at intervals of British
occupation, in this area until 1821. The first mission established in
this area was December 7, 1821 and was at Pensacola. This mission was
established by the Mississippi Conference of the Methodist Church, then
in session at Washington, Mississippi, with Dr. Alexander Talley as the
first missionary to be sent to the area. The next missionary was Rev.
Ashley Hewett who in turn was succeeded by Rev. Henry P. Cook.
Dr. Cook, whose territory was somewhat shortened, had rather amazing
success for that day and reported his first membership at 37 white and
47 colored for a total of 84. Dr. Cook died in the fall of 1825 of yellow
fever while still in the service of this mission. The Mission Board paid
him the munificent sum of $72.31 for his year's service.
We do not know where these men preached before 1824, but a news item
in the Pensacola Gazette of March 20, 1824 mentions the services of Rev.
Cook being held at the courthouse.
Supposedly Dr. Cook was buried in St. Michael's Cemetery, but with the
passing of years his grave has become completely lost.
The next appointee to the Pensacola-Mobile Mission was Dr. John R. Lambuth,
who did not serve very long since the area was transferred to the South
Carolina Conference in 1826. This Dr. Lambuth was the grandfather of Bishop
Some of the old manuscripts of the archives at Wofford College in Spartanburg,
South Carolina, reveal a record of expenditures for a new church building
at Pensacola in 1827, and the committee is listed as Rev. Charles Hardy
(the next missionary appointee apparently), Mayor William Sebree, Dr.
C. Y. Fonda. The same account records the death of Mayor Sebree leaving
a surviving committee of the other two gentlemen. The committee listed
expenditures of $1,192.63 for the First Methodist Church building in Pensacola,
which was located at or about the corner of Intendencia and Tarragona
It is interesting to note that many of the contributors to this church
building fund are names even now common on the rolls of the Methodist
churches in Milton and Bagdad: Keyser, Allen, Rogers, Mitchell, Campbell,
Thompson, Wright, Salter, Simpson, Hannah, Smith, Chase, Fisher, Warren,
Pendleton, Wilkerson, White, Collins. It is even more interesting to contemplate
the fact that a great number of these names moved to Milton and Bagdad
later when these places gained an ascendancy over Pensacola to such an
extent that it was feared the latter city would entirely disappear. There
was, for instance, a steamship line that by-passed Pensacola enroute from
Milton to New Orleans.
It was about the year 1827 that the Escambe (Escambia) Mission began
to operate effectively, and it included mission stations at various places
in what is now Santa Rosa County -places that remained a part of Escambia
County, however, until 1842 when Santa Rosa County was formed of parts
of Escambia and Walton Counties (Okaloosa County was not formed until
more than 50 years later).
Following Rev. Charles Hardy (1827), we find the name Rev. Isaac Boring.
Rev. Boring was one of the very few such men who kept a running day-by-day
diary, which, by the way, furnished us with some interesting facts. For
instance, we find that he was appointed to this mission February 14, 1828;
and starting from Camden, South Carolina, he traveled by way of Augusta,
Georgia, Macon and Columbus, crossed the Chattahoochee River at Marshall's
Ferry, thence to the Creek Nation in southeast Alabama, thence to the
Choctawhatchee settlement (Jackson and surrounding counties especially
Holmes and Washington) in Florida and on to Pensacola by way of Floridatown,
arriving in Pensacola on Wednesday, March 12, just short of one month
of travel on horseback. We note, also, then he sold his horse to his predecessor
(Dr. Hardy) for $100.00, so that gentleman had his transportation to his
In 1829 Rev. Adam Wyrick was assigned to the Pensacola-Escambia Mission.
He said of Pensacola " . . . a most terribly ... wicked place. Can see
little evidence of good being accomplished."
The appointee for 1830 was the Rev. (or Dr.) John W. Talley. Dr. Talley
mentions as one of his parishioners a little girl named Miss Octavia Walton,
whose grandmother (also living in Pensacola) was the widow of George Walton,
a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Dr. Talley related with considerable
emphasis some facts concerning the Escambe Mission which included the
group at Milton and at Bagdad. The Milton group met at a bluff overlooking
Blackwater above Milton and below Morton's Brickyard, while the Bagdad
group must have first met at Hunt's Brickyard (the Dog Farm) and later
near or at the present site adjacent to Bruce's Point (the Bagdad terminus
of the first ferry).
Dr. Talley was the last one sent to this area by the South Carolina Conference.
His successor, Rev. P. C. Shelman, was sent out by the Georgia Conference
The period beginning in 1831 was the one which saw the area that we now
know as Santa Rosa County begin to show tremendous growth. The city of
Pensacola had so shrunken until its population was probably less than
2000 while Milton, Floridatown, Arcadia, Blackwater (Bagdad), and Mulatto
Bayou probably embraced twice that number. The Escambe Mission included
18 appointments during the year 1832 and those appointments were scattered
through Covington, Butler, and Conecuh Counties of Alabama as well as
Escambia and Walton in Florida. This mission reported 69 members in 1832
and 260 in 1833. The Pensacola Mission was declining until during the
next few years no missionary was sent to Pensacola -really not another
until 1837. The appointments since 1832 have been out of the Alabama Conference
which includes South Alabama and Northwest Florida.
These years just before 1837, which saw such a decline at Pensacola,
witnessed the establishment not of congregation, for they were already
in existence, but of buildings in the Milton-Bagdad area. During those
years when Pensacola became a mission station of the Escambe Mission,
some of the illustrious names were added to those serving this area: 1838-39
Green Malone (Supply); 1840-49 John D. Loftin, George R. W. Smith ' F.
A. McShaw; 1849 John R. Rush; 1850-51 W. K. Norton; 1852-53 Thomas C.
Crymes and Elisha Phillips; 18S3 Joseph B. Cottrill, Pensacola; Walter
C. Harris, Warrington; L. P. Golson, Milton-Bagdad.
In December, 1865, following the dark war years, Pensacola was again
attached to the church at Milton-Bagdad and W. H. Carter was the missionary.
Likewise in 1866, but in 1867 Pensacola-Milton was left "to be supplied."
For the year 1868, the name was Milton-Pensacola Navy Yard Mission and
J. A. Parker was the appointed missionary. He was succeeded in 1869 by
Rev. E. B. McClellan.
According to records Milton Methodist Church had a Rev. W. B. Dennis
assigned to it in 1871. From that time, pastors were regularly assigned
to the Milton Methodist Church. Most of these also served as pastor of
the Bagdad Methodist Church, though in 1956 a separate pastor, a supply
pastor from Pensacola, was assigned to the Bagdad Congregation.
Miss Clara Andrews, who has been a member of First Methodist Church,
Milton, for many years, recalls "For years there were only two churches
in Milton and Bagdad. They alternated services, meeting in the morning
at the Methodist Church and at night in the Presbyterian Church. The next
Sunday this was reversed. At both places the entire congregation of each
church would attend in a body."
"Mr. Henry Thompson was Methodist Sunday School Superintendent and his
brother-in-law, Mr. Ed Creary, was the same at the Presbyterian Church.
When the Presbyterian Church went on full time at Milton, the Bagdad members
joined the Milton Church. The Bagdad Church was moved near Tallahassee."
"When the Hendersons and Works came to Bagdad, the Baptist Church was
organized and the Mill Company donated some amount to all three churches."
Listed below are the available names of pastors who served the First
Methodist Church beginning with Rev. W. B. Dennis, 1871, who is mentioned
Rev. W. B. Dennis
Rev. J. 0. Andrew
Rev. J. 0. Keener
Rev. E. E. Cowan
Rev. J. H. James
Rev. A. C. Hundley
Rev. George M. Sellars
Rev. Laban Henry Scott Chappelle
Rev. B. C. Glenn
Rev. J. Bancroft
Rev. W. T. Ellisor
Rev. W. P. Homer, D. D. (An Oxford graduate whose great grandfather
was a helper of Wesley. His daughter, Mary, taught school here.)
Rev. E. C. Maye (His daughter married Ernest Edwards' uncle,
Mr. Wiley Edwards.)
Rev. L. C. Calhoun
Rev. J. C. Harrison
Rev. Joseph Prior Roberts
Rev. Thomas Young Abernathy
Rev. Schuyler Green Boyd
Rev. Francis Marion Atchison
Rev. Charles W. McConnell
Rev. Marvin A. Rooks
Rev. Luther S. Gilmer
Rev. J. A. Seale
Rev. H. W. Williamson (His son James married Julia Nell Byron.)
Rev. A. B. Carlton
Rev. S. E. Spencer
Rev. F. M. Atchison (Second term of service here.)
Rev. L. B. Green
Rev. R. W. Judkins
Rev. A. C. Britt
Rev. A. H. Vanlandingham
Rev. R. L. Hoagland, Jr.
Rev. R. L. Hagood
Rev. Comer Woodall
Rev. Joseph E. Hastings
"Miss Clara" also recalls that Rev. H. W. Williamson was pastor when
the old church burned down during the White Christmas program in 1932.
In 1933 the bank closed and church funds on deposit were lost.
This shows the second Methodist church building in Milton. It was erected
in 1905 and burned in 1932. Its location was Conecuh Street. This congregation
was the first protestant congregation organized following the acquisition
of Florida by the United States. Its auditorium served as an assembly
hall for town and county assemblies during the years of territorial government
and early statehood. The Milton Vigilantes were organized here by Intendent
Rev. A. B. Carlton was pastor of the church in the years following the
burning of the old building, and he conducted services in the courthouse.
Every Sunday he would ask how long the congregation was willing to stay
in the courthouse.
During Rev. Carlton's stay the new church building was finished and paid
for. Bishop S. R. Hay dedicated the new church at a morning service, and
Rev. Carlton's daughter was married by the bishop at the conclusion of
the service. (Note -It was 1966 before another bishop participated in
services at the First Methodist Church. Bishop Goodson conducted at several
morning services during the illness of the pastor, Rev. Comer Woodall.
The membership of this church has continued to grow, and in 1964 a small
group left to form the Christ Methodist Church in the northwest section
of town. Both churches have continued to grow with membership in 1967
of approximately 570 for the First Methodist Church and approximately
85 for the Christ Methodist Church.)
Present sanctuary of First Methodist Church on Berryhill Street in Milton.
MILTON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
This is another of those sketches in a series of source materials on
the history of Milton. This one comes to me from Hon. T. Franklin West,
Milton attorney, in the form of a cooperative cookbook published by the
Ladies Aid Society of the Presbyterian Church in Milton. The title page
reads: Souvenir Cook Book compiled by the Ladies Aid Society of the Presbyterian
Church, Milton, Florida. As a sort of preamble there are a few pages in
the front of the book titled: "History of Milton Presbyterian Church -Milton,
Santa Rosa County, Florida."
I have copied the last-named material above verbatim. The date-line of
the publisher on the cover of this book is 1906. The printer is given
as The News Book and Job Print, Pensacola, Florida.
HISTORY OF MILTON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Milton, Santa Rosa County, Florida
"In April, 1866, Rev. J. N. Lewis, in passing on his way to Pensacola
stopped at Bagdad and Milton, preaching once at each place. After leaving
for Pensacola, he received a written invitation to return and labor for
them. Believing the field to be a promising one for usefulness, and feeling
his need of a warmer climate, he promised to come and settle among them.
"in December, 1866, he moved from Alabama to Bagdad, Florida, and commenced
preaching regularly, and at Milton occasionally, as our Methodist and
Baptist brethren could spare the use of their houses of worship, which
they very kindly did for over a year.
"Mr. Lewis taught school in Bagdad, to aid in making a support, in addition
to his other labors for several months; but as most of the population
lived in and around Milton, he felt it very important that we should have
a house of our own. "After much thought, consultation and prayer, he determined
in face of any difficulties to make the effort to build. In order to give
himself to this ,work, he gave up his school and commenced by making an
appeal for aid
the papers, and personally by letter. This did not promise to bring in
--sufficient funds to enable us to go forward. In February, 1868, he went
to Mobile and New Orleans to ask aid in person. In Mobile he obtained
in cash and ,material, $535. In New Orleans he received $115, and from
other points $27. 'His expenses were $31.25, leaving $645.75 to be applied
to the building. In March, 1868, we began to build. (J. W. Bishop was
The First Presbyterian Church, which was built in 1868, had as its first
pastor, Rev. J.N. Lewis.
"On August 14, 1868, Rev. J. N. Lewis preached the first sermon in the
new house, at night. Saturday, August 15, The First Presbyterian Church
of Milton was organized, consisting of twenty-eight members, viz:
"Received by certificate from Bagdad: Dr. Zepheniah Swift, James A. Chaffin,
Mrs. Victoria V. Chaffin, Mrs. Harriet Keyser, Mrs. Susan Simpson, and
Mrs. Lauretta Fisher.
"Received on profession by J. N. Lewis previously: William J. Keyser,
Mrs. Kate Monroe, Fannie Cater, Sophronia McKee, Mary A. W. Monroe, J.
L. Mayo, Mrs. Eliza Cary, and Rebecca Jones.
"Received by letter from other churches: Mr. Alexander Monroe, Mrs. Jane
Monroe, Mr. W. D. Monroe, Miss Sallie A. Monroe, Mrs. Catherine McMillan,
Mrs. S. S. Peters, Mrs. Martha Farrar, Mrs. George Marquis, Mrs. Mary
B. Fitzpatrick, Mrs. E. J. Lewis, Mr. Alexander McRae, Mrs. Mary McRae,
Mr. E. R. Corry, and Mr. A. S. Commyns.
"There were twenty-eight charter members.
"Mr. Alexander Monroe was elected ruling Elder in the new church; he
First Presbyterian Church (Present Day)
been previously ordained elsewhere. Dr. Zepheniah Swift was elected ruling
Elder. Mr. W. D. Monroe and James A. Chaffin were elected and ordained
as deacons of this church. On Sunday the 16th of August, 1868, the dedication
sermon was given by the Rev. W. A. Caster of Pensacola. The Rev. J. N.
Lewis said to the Church, the congregation standing, 'You, the Presbyterian
Church and congregation of Milton do now in this public and solemn manner,
set apart this house from all secular and worldly uses to the above services
of Almighty God to be used for His worship only, in all the ways of His
appointed ordinances to Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, you do now dedicate
this house as a meeting place between God and His dear people forever,
praying that his blessing may rest upon it, and upon all who may ever
meet here to worship Him.' "
"Also Rev. J. N. Lewis offered the Dedicatory Prayer, returning our hearty
thanks to God for His goodness, and asking His acceptance of the labor
of our hands, and imploring His presence and blessing upon house and people,
saying, 'May this house and church long remain a monument to the praise
and glory of God, Amen.' "
The Trustees of the Milton Presbyterian Church were appointed as follows:
W. J. Keyser, W. D. Monroe, and Zepheniah Swift.
Mr. Lewis resigned the charge of Milton Presbyterian Church December
2, 1885, but continued to live at Bagdad.
Rev. C. P. Walker supplied the pulpit from July 12, 1885, until March
27, 1887, when he was unanimously elected pastor of the congregation.
At this time an application was made to Alabama Presbytery for the church
to be withdrawn from said Presbytery to join that of Florida. Mr. Walker
was pastor until February 17, 1895, when his resignation was read at a
congregational meeting. The people accepted his resignation. Mr. Walker
then had charge of the State Normal at De Funiak Springs, but he continued
to serve the church as a supply pastor until September 6, 1895, when Rev.
W. S. Porter became pastor of said church, October 29, 1899. Mr. Porter
resigned November 13, 1899. Rev. C. T. Walker came to take charge of Milton
High School, and he was also employed to supply the pulpit of the Presbyterian
Church, until they could obtain a pastor. No stated salary was promised.
This provision Mr. Walker accepted, and officiated as pastor until April,
1901. Rev. G. W. Tollett was then called; he accepted the charge and began
to labor as our pastor in July, 1901, and resigned November 10, 1903.
Rev. S. G Hutton next accepted the pastorate December 1903, but was never
installed. He served as pastor until November 1, 1904. The next pastor,
Rev. B. R. Anderson, assumed the pastorate of this church the third Sunday
of February in 1905. He was installed April 9, 1905, by a committee from
the presbytery, consisting of Rev. R. Z. Baker, Rev. B. L. Baker, and
Elder Daniel Campbell who were appointed for that purpose.
(Note: Other ministers serving the First Presbyterian Church were:)
C. W. Humphreys
Frederick B. Smith
W. F. Harris
J. C. Delaney
John T. Young
John D. Thomas
H. G. Wiggins
R. Clyde Douglas
W. Peter Kott
William Louis Hiemstra
Joseph F. Clark
Robert T. Coit
W. W. Thrower
Dr. C. D. Dicks
William B. Lemosy
But from all of our reminiscences how impressively comes back to us that
lesson written upon the works of man. "One generation passeth away, and
another generation cometh. Our Fathers, where are they? And the prophets,
do they live forever?" In yonder cemetery they lie, the fathers with the
children and children's children to the third and fourth generation. All
that now live will soon be numbered with the past, those who came after
us will gather up the story of our lifetime, and as we have fulfilled
our obligations to God and His Church, will write the record of our faith
or the record of our folly.
ST. MARYS EPISCOPAL CHURCH
A CHURCH OF MEMORIALS
(This material was contributed by Miss Anice Brown, member of St. Mary's
St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Milton, Florida was founded in 1867. Their
first rector was Rev. James S. Jarett. He had the first service August
4, 1867 and at that time there was a yellow fever epidemic here. He was
St. Mary's Episcopal Church
yellow fever and died thirteen days later, August 17, 1867. The church
was a parish at that time and they gave the pulpit in memory of him. It
is still in use in St. Mary's.
They were then without a rector from August 17, 1867 until Easter 1868
when Rev. C. F. D. Lynn came and served from Easter 1868 until Easter
1871; then Rev. H. 0. Crane came on November 17, 1874 and served until
May 18, 1875. Rev. Charles E. McDougall, M. D., served from April 20,
1876 until May 25, 1916. Rev. Jon Scottow served St. Mary's from 1925
During the first three years the church was only a shell of a building,
and a man by the name of Zelious did all the carving and built the pews
all by hand. The windows were just openings on the inside of the church.
They used the church three years, winter and summer, in that condition.
Then they began to give and work to get stained glass windows. Many functions
were held until they had enough money to buy the beautiful window over
the altar ($600) with all the symbols, each of which had a meaning.
On Wednesday, June 3, 1868 the "Ladies Aid Society" was organized in
the home of Mrs. H. A. Bushnell, Sr. Mrs. Potter, Mrs. Bushnell, Mrs.
Adams, Mrs. Swift, Mrs. Lynne, and Mrs. Amos were all present. Other members
included Mrs. Morrill, Mrs. Snow, Mrs. Hughes, Mrs. McDougall, Miss M.
Adams, Mrs. Dorr and Mrs. Zelious. The ladies began to work on the altar
linens, the hangings, and the many other things that were needed in the
Mrs. Adams gave the altar, which is still in use in St. Mary's. It cost
one hundred dollars.
Miss Mabel McDougall told me about making the white hangings. Her brother,
Charlie, had a drugstore in the building on Willings Street where one
part of the 5¢ & 10¢ store is now. She worked in the drugstore
and did most of the work in the back of the store when she was not busy
with customers. A sheet was spread on the floor with a rocking chair put
in the center of the sheet, thus keeping her white goods off the floor.
When she had to go wait on a customer, she just dropped it all down on
Miss McDougall gave the chimes that are in the church now in memory of
the Bishops Young and Weed who were guests of the McDougall family on
most of their visits to St. Mary's.
The Rt. Rev. Frank A. Juhan, D. D., fourth bishop of Florida was the
youngest bishop that Florida had ever had. At the time he was elected,
he was thirty-eight years old. He had many heartaches during the time
he was bishop. He was in an automobile wreck and was hurt severely. He
also lost a son in World War 11.
The Ladies Aid Society worked, sewed, and sold the things they made.
They bought the kerosene lamps (they have electric lights in them now).
Each lamp in the church cost them four dollars each, and there were four
in the chancel and sanctuary that cost seven dollars each. They had round
globes on one round rod and were used until electric lights were put in.
In later years they had flood lights put up in the top of the church
to shine on the altar, and the round globe lamps were taken out. The ones
on each pew are the ones that were put there when the church was being
Many of the beautiful altar linens were made and given by Mrs. Sam Stewart
and Mrs. Ethel McDougall Golson. The little reed organ was given the church
by the McDougall family. Mrs. Golson played it until she was, as she said,
"tired" and then Miss Anice Brown, whom Mrs. Golson taught to play, became
In later years the church received a gift of five hundred dollars as
a start on a Hammond electric organ. Every member who could, gave enough
($1700.00) to buy the organ that is there now, and they gave the little
reed organ to the mission church in Crestview, Florida.
The church was heated by steam heat for several years until the chimney
to the furnace cracked from top to bottom. They were afraid it would fall
on the church or on somebody, so they.had the old chimney torn down and
the pipes taken out of the church. Meeker Gainer gave the church a heatrola
which had to be fired with wood and coal. Bogan Hoodless was a good sized
boy (perhaps twelve years old) at the time, and he came every Sunday morning
from across the river where he lived and started the fire in the furnace.
The coal and wood were kept in the little room at the back of the church.
This room didn't have a floor in it and was as black as coal. The choir
guild (Carrie Allen, Mabel McDougall, Elma Hardee, Marguerite Williams,
Fred Gwaltney, and Anice Brown) paid a pledge of twenty-five cents a month
and sold Christmas cards to make enough money to have a concrete floor
put in the little room. Sheet rock was put on the walls and a utility
cabinet was added. The heatrola was used for a few years, and later, gas
heaters were put in by Fred Gwaltney, and then this room was used for
a choir dressing room in which the vestments could be kept.
Dr. McDougall had served St. Mary's forty years. Having grown unable
to practice medicine or take care of his church duty, he retired. From
then forward the church had a member of different rectors.
Many of the members had moved away, many had passed on, and the church
didn't grow, so it became a mission instead of a parish with the bishop
sending whom he could.
Rev. A. C. A. Smith, D. D. was here from 1916 to June 1, 1917 when Rev.
J. J. Perry came. He was here until February 25, 1922, after which Rev.
Grant Kuauff served until September 30, 1925. Rev. Kuauff lived in Pensacola
and only came here on Sunday mornings. He was an Englishman.
On March 20, 1927, Rev. Thomas A. Schofield and his wife came. They were
about middle-aged and they boarded at the McDougall home until he could
get a place to live. Then they moved to a house on Berryhill Street near
Bill Bonifay and Amy Bonifay were baptised by him and confirmed while
he was here. He served until 1931 and then went to Live Oak, Florida.
In July, 1931, Rev. Eldrid C. Simpkins came and lived at the Bagdad Inn
in Bagdad. On the second day he was here Aubrey Gainer died, and he conducted
He was also very good to people in need. One of whom I can remember,
especially, was the man who was bridge tender for the L & N Railroad.
He was very sick, and Rev. Simpkins would go to his house and work with
him all night. Although the man was sick a long time, he got well and
Jack Straughn was the server. The Bishop sent him to Pensacola to serve
at St. Catherine's and live in St. Catherine's Rectory. He would come
up here and serve St. Mary's too. He didn't like St. Catherine's and asked
to be transferred to the southern diocese. He had served here until December
From January 1, 1933 until September 23, 1934 the church services were
conducted by university students and lay leaders. Then Rev. Russel S.
Carleton served from September 23, 1934 until August 23, 1936. Rev. Carleton
was also an Englishman.
In August 1936 Norlon Brown, a layreader, started coming from Pensacola
every Sunday afternoon. He conducted evening services until January 15,
1939. Once a month Rev. H. B. Hodskins and Arch-Deacon Weller from Pensacola
would come and celebrate Holy Communion.
In January 1939 David Rose came. Since he was just out of seminary and
was not ordained Deacon, he served only six months and went back to his
home church. There he was ordained Deacon and then came back to live in
Pensacola in the home of Miss Lelia Ablecrombie. He came to Milton every
Sunday for eleven o'clock services, and every Thursday to spend the day
visiting members of the church.
(The reason the rectors of St. Mary's had to live elsewhere was there
was no one here who could furnish them a room).
Mr. Rose was not a healthy man and would rest part of the day at the
home of Miss Mabel McDougall. He was only twenty-six years of age and
was therefore quite a favorite with the young people as well as old. Rufus
Stewart especially liked him and when Mr. Rose was ordained to priesthood,
Rufus wanted to be confirmed, although he had been a Presbyterian all
of his life, as well as h s people before him. When the Bishop came, he
and Lucile Williams were confirmed.
Rufus wanted to study for the ministry but he joined the Army Air Corps
and served until the Second World War was over. He then went to the University
of the South in Sewannee, Tennessee, and on June 24, 1949, was ordained
Deacon by Bishop Juhan.
Rev. David Rose served St. Mary's until February 1942, when he went into
the Navy and served as chaplain until the close of World War 11, serving
in the Pacific theatre. He came back to St. Mary's on a visit for a few
days, having services twice while here. He then went on to Jacksonville
for a short stay and married the wife of one of his comrades who lost
his life in war. They had a little boy. He and his family went to Corpus
Christi, Texas to the Church of the Good Shepherd.
Rufus Stewart went to Alice, Texas about one hundred miles from Corpus
Christi, so they again became neighbors.
After Mr. Rose left, Rev. H. Lindey Smythe had services a short time
followed by Rev. Fred G. Yerkes. He also lived in St. Catherine Rectory.
The first Sunday he was to be at St. Mary's, the congregation was there
at eleven o'clock but there was no preacher. Everyone waited and waited,
knowing he had to come from Pensacola. At 11:40 he came in, his hair tousled
(he was blonde and needed a haircut) and looking like a boy. When he got
to the pulpit, he stopped and told the people that he started from Pensacola
in plenty of time but his old car, furnished by the Bishop, had broken
down. He worked on it, unsuccessfully, so he finally hitchhiked a ride
with a pulpwood truck . . . He then got his vestments on and really had
a good service. He had an asthmatic condition in this climate which caused
him to request the Bishop to send him to Cedar Key.
A young man named James Williams was serving at St. Johns in Warrington.
He and his wife, whom he called "Sookie", would come by bus every Sunday
afternoon and have evening prayer and sermon. They came about six months
and then went to a church in South Carolina.
The church had layreaders then for quite sometime, until Henry W. Havens
came. He, too, was just out of the University of the South, and was ordained
Deacon in his home church in Jacksonville, but was ordained Rector in
St. Mary's in Milton. Miss Mabel McDougall gave him the three upstairs
rooms in her home to have one for his study, a bedroom, and an adjoining
bath. He married Joyce Williams of Jacksonville while he was here, and
they lived at Miss Mabel's.
He served St. Mary's three years and then went to Trinity Church in New
Orleans. They had two children while in New Orleans, and he named his
first son .Peter Havens.
Rev. L. C. Bailey came in September 1949. He had served in the U. S.
Army, and had served the church in Australia seven years. The people there
didn't want him to leave, but he said he just felt that he must come home.
He came to his home in St. Petersburg, Florida intending to go to Oxford
for a two-year course in church work. He had a four-year course given
him, but Bishop Juhan asked him to come to St. Mary's. All the time he
was here the Bishop in Australia was writing him to come back over there.
He gave up his Oxford offer.
Rev. Bailey lived at Miss Mabel's. He took a great interest in all the
church property and helped Miss Mabel all he could. There wasn't a parish
house at that time and when there was any kind of activity that involved
a large group, it was held in the Woman's Club house near the church.
Mr. Bailey was very much interested in adding as much on the back of the
church and as far over to the Rozier property as could be done.
St. Mary's had been in use for twenty-three years before it was consecrated.
When Rev. Bailey was here, it had been a consecrated church for sixty
years so they had a celebration of the event. A large cake with sixty
candies was bought for the special occasion, which was held at the clubhouse
with a large crowd in attendance.
In April, 1950, Mr. J. C. Rozier, who owned the property adjoining the
church property, built a home in Pensacola and sold his home to St. Mary's
for a parish house.
Rev. Bailey helped Miss Mabel and also took care of the church yard and
parish house yard, with the help of two very poor little boys, whom he
paid to help him. One of them was a sickly boy (he had diabetes) and although
he was fourteen years old, he looked as though he were nine. Rev. Bailey
saw to it that he had the food and medicine he needed.
In February 1951, Miss Mabel died and he lived in her home, left for
a rectory, until July, when he left to go to Camp Weed to stay two weeks.
He was to have the month of August for his vacation, intending to return
the first of September, but he didn't return. Instead he went back to
Australia in October, where he had a very large church.
Then Elmer Allen came in September from the University of the South and
was ordained rector in St. Mary's. He served three years and went to Clearwater,
Florida to be assistant to the rector there.
Rev. George A. P. Jewell, came from Panama City, Florida and served St.
Mary's three months, but he had to retire from active duty due to bad
health. Two weeks before Easter, 1954, Rev. Francis M. Hamilton and his
wife and daughter came.
The present rector, Rev. Robert F. Cowling, has served the church for
several years now. He and his mother occupy the rectory. They are much-loved
by their congregation and are very faithful to their church and community.
Dr. and Mrs. McDougall willed their home and everything in it to the
church for a rectory, but it was to be used by their children while any
of them lived, and Miss Mabel was the last one. Mrs. Golson had left all
she had to Miss Mabel (her home across the street from the church and
a residence on Berryhill Street), and Mr. Charlie McDougall owned eighty
acres out on Highway 90 across from the County Farm and three business
places on Willing Street. Miss Mabel, being the last one, willed the whole
property to the Diocese of Florida. One-half of the income from it is
to go to St. Mary's. The Diocese sold the two residences, rented the three
stores, and still have the eighty acres on Highway No. 90.
St. Mary's Church, Milton, might well be called a church of memorials
as it has so many beautiful ones given with much love for the ones they
remembered and the church that they loved.
The window on the left is not a memorial window. It was given by Colonel
G. 0. Waits of Bagdad, January 18, 1927.
The middle window on the right was given by St. Mary's Guild in 1928.
The windows in the vestry room and music room are the leaded stained
glass ones that were taken out of the windows where memorials were placed.
Listed below are some of the memorials placed in the church by various
members and friends:
Window on right in sanctuary -in memory of Lewis P. Golson -1916
Window on left in sanctuary -Bessie McDougall -1866-1914
Window on right next to pulpit -Meeker Greenleigh Gainer 1866-1927
Opposite window on left -Mary D. Pearson -1827-1914 and Martha Caroline
Middle window on left -Louise Caroline McDonald -1856-1923
Middle window on right -Callie Bishop Hannah -1861-1915 given by her
three daughters, Maxie Betterton, Elizabeth Read, and Carrie Allen
Front window on right -Ethel McDougall Golson -1866-1939 and Charles
Clinton McDougall -1862-1930
Front window on left -Lt. Nathan Forest Lindsey -July 12, 1918 -April
17, 1944 given in his memory by his mother. He was killed in a plane wreck
in the Pacific in World War 11. Their house is in Perry, Florida, but
his mother lived here until she married. She was Alma Blake and their
home was in the same place where Anice Brown now lives. The Blake home
Choir rail and font -Fannie Elizabeth McDougall -who was born in Alabama
in 1855 and lived four years.
Red Bible -given by Mrs. Elma Hardee in memory of her mother, Ella Merle
Gainer and her father, James Cooper Gainer.
Chimes in music room -given in memory of Bishop Young and Bishop Weed
by Miss McDougall.
Altar Rail -in memory of Leon Perrenot Mints 1864-1889 by his mother,
who took in sewing to pay for it. She made dresses for twenty-five cents
Cross -William Edward McDougall -December 19, 1857 -February 1, 1891.
Eucharist candle sticks -Ebon and Clara Dovour.
Vases -Willie McDougall Golson -August 24, 1895 -June 26, 1896. She was
Mrs. Golson's little girl and died of what is now called colitis.
Bread box -Samuel Jesse Stewart -September 27, 1900.
Paten and chalice -Charles Edward and Sarah Elizabeth M. McDougall.
Hymn board -George Henry Gronour, Jr. -January 16, 1911 -December 25,
1911. It was given by his mother.
Alms basins -Carolyn Floyd Stewart -1863 -1945 by her granddaughter Carolyn
Granan Shepherd; and Samuel Jesse Stewart, 1861-1919, by his granddaughter,
Mrs. Shepherd. Mrs. Shepherd was living in Lunia, Peru when her grandmother
died. Knowing of the skill of the Peruvian silversmiths, she took a picture
of a pair of alms basins from a catalogue of an Ecclesiastical supply
house and had them copied. The South American silver has less alloy than
our sterling, therefore it is rather soft and the design is not as clear-cut
as the English hand-wrought silver.
Light in vestibule of church -in memory of Lawrence Brown by his daughter,
The two lights on the front of the church -in memory of William A. Bonifay,
Sr. by his son, William A. Bonifay, Jr.
The sign board in front of the church was given by Fred and Maxie Betterton.
St. Mary's has had many changes during the years, but it is a church
where for many years, many members have worked with pleasure and given
willingly of their time and talents.
MILTON BAPTIST CHURCH
(These are notes from an original printing of the minutes of the Pensacola
Bay Baptist Association held in the Milligan Baptist Church, Santa Rosa
County, Florida, September 30, October 1-3, 1897, together with notes
from a compilation of the previous ten years of history of the association.
These minutes were examined by me as the property of Mr. W. D. Robertson,
Ordained ministers of the association:
- W. F. Arnette, Holt
- J. D. Beck, Pensacola
- W. D. Bell, Warrington
- I. L. Taylor, Milton
- William Edwards, Milligan
- J. E. Holley, Crestview
- A. P. Pugh, Pensacola
- J. W. Senterfitt, Holt
- Henry Kierce, Pensacola (great uncle of Steiner Kierce of Milton)
- W. E. Phillips, Milton
- J. T. Mapoles, Milligan (grandfather of Clayton Mapoles of Milton)
- N. B. Parker, Pensacola
- R. H. Littlefield, Holt
- Executive Board:
- Paul Gray, Chairman, Pensacola
- L. M. Rhoda, Secretary, Milton
- E. B. Lovelace, Treasurer, Willigan
- John Ronloff, Pensacola
- J. E. Williams, Pensacola