Following the disastrous hurricane
of 1906, James G. Pace from Hazlehurst, Georgia, purchased what was
left of Emory Fiske Skinner's massive logging/lumber business in Escambia
County near what is Scenic Highway today. Pace moved and rebuilt the
mill in the Pace area in 1907. It was located just a few blocks off
Highway 90 on Chumuckla Road. This area in 1910 was called Pea Ridge,
but by 1912 it was known as "Pace." Pace Road which runs in front of
the present Dixon School was the site of housing for supervisory level
employees. In the 1920's J. G. Pace was sent to France, as a delegate
of the US Government, to study forestry methods. Upon returning, he
put into practice what he had learned.
The children of James G. Pace and Caroline Ashley
Pace were Burgess, who owned and operated the Andrew Jackson Hotel;
Myrtice, who married E.F. Stone, Coast Guard pilot; Ashley D., one of
the main founders of the paper mill in Cantonment, and John C. who is
well remembered since the U.W.F. Library bears his name. After the death
of his first wife, James G. Pace married Winona Rabb. Their children
were Mary Catherine, Virginia, James G. (Jim) Jr., Winona, and Frances.
After the mill closed in 1929 a turpentine business
continued on the same location for a number of years but this did not
employ the numbers of people which the logging mill had.
(Above from Historical
Sketch of Pace, by Ed
Nugent. Read the entire text by clicking