Milton Press Gazette

May 2, 1952

Hurricane of 1906 is Called Area’s Worst

By Mrs. Annie L. Deen-Crist

I think there are several of us living today who will never forget the storm, although it has been nearly fifty years since it came. When I first came to Florida, I never hear the word HURRICANE, but the storm was called a Southeaster, as it came from the Southeast. This hurricane was claimed to be the worst we ever had.

At that time there were no radios to warn of their approach and the weather forecasting was not as good as now.
Up to this time, Santa Rosa Island had acted as a bulwark to keep the angry waters of the Fu;f of Mexico from Pensacola and vicinity. I do not remember what happened in Pensacola, but I do remember what happened here.

At this time we were living at our home at Kelkerfield. Mr. Crist was getting logs for Mr. Otis’ mill at Mulat and had a camp on Wallace Lake on the Escambia River about twenty miles from here. I was at home with three children, the oldest five years and the youngest fourteen months. We were trying to build a home. I worked at home while he worked away. We had a strongly built house, and I was not afraid of bad weather.

Mr. Crist came home Wednesday night and returned to camp Thursday morning. It was very unsettled weather when he left and kept getting worse but it did not bother me. That night I awoke after midnight and it seemed as if the door would blow open, so I pushed some furniture against the door and went back to sleep. It was so bad the next morn I never got up until late. It was about 11 a. m. before I milked my cow and tended to the other animals. Then I got breakfast and straightened the house and by this time the wind had calmed some and it had almost quit raining, but looked dark and dreary.

I felt so lonesome that I went to a neighbor’s who lived about two hundred feet to the west and asked the lady if they would spend the night with us. She said, “Mrs. don’t you know this is a HURRICANE and Mulat is washed away!” She said her husband, Mr. Nathan Land, had gone to Mulat to bring his brother, Mr. Joe Land and family, here. She asked me to come with my children and stay with them. I quickly accepted her invitation, as, I was really frightened, although the worse was over, of which I was unaware. They lived in a large two-story house.

Mr. Land returned with his brother and family, and another family, and a younger brother. A lady and her two children, who lived near the bay, were there also. It was surely a full house.

There were several houses built near the bayou in which men who worked at the mill at Mulat lived. The owner of the mill, Mr. Sim Otis, lived in a very large house, strongly built. When the men saw the water coming inshore, they began evacuating their families. Before they had gotten them all out, the women and children were placed on top of the tables and carried out on the men’s backs. I think most of the people went to Mr. Otis’ house.

The water rose ten feet at Mulat. I think it covered the little trestle across the Bayou. It stood two feel deep in Mr. Otis’ office and lapped the kitchen in his home, which was some lower than the main house.

The bridge tender lived on the trestle with his wife and two children. When he saw the weather getting worse, he wanted to take them ashore, but his wife did not want to leave him. About eleven p. m. he decided to go ashore as the weather was getting worse. His wife’s brother was with them. Each man took a child in his arms and began to crawl ashore. The husband looked back to see about his wife and saw a large wave which washed her into the water. Then large waves knocked both children out of the men’s arms into the water. The men reached shore. After the storm the bodies were found at the head of the bay in the swamp.

The trestle was badly damaged. For several days the trains could not cross it. One man who was working with Mr. Crist, came home with him, but did not return. He, his wife and two children, lived in a house on a point near the mill. His wife’s two brothers and their wives were with them. He said they were watching the weather and when he saw the water come in under the door, he timed it. It rose six in. in 10 minutes. Then he put his folks in his row-boat and swam ashore, towing the boat, as he was the only one who could swim. He lost his home and all his possessions. He said if he had returned with Mr. Crist, he would have lost his family.

He told me never to let Mr. Crist put me close to the Bay, but I enjoy living near the water.





Then and Now


Logging Industry

The Big Freeze


Hurricane of 1906

Crist Reunion



Copyright © 2001-2010 Friends of Pace Area Library
M Lyle Web Connect